grades

Ok. I already got my 1st sem grades... and guess what? I almost flunked my English subject!! Grrr... That's the price I have to pay for not attending my 7:30 AM class every tuesday and friday! I did not get any flat 1 or even 1.25.. but I was elated when I saw my grade in my favorite subject, Political Science 2... it's my highest!!! haha! 1.5!! If you're interested in viewing my 1st sem grades, then CLICK HERE!


I'm banning myself from creating negative entries for an indefinite period of time. No rants and criticisms for now. So I'ma start posting entries that concerns the topic of Philippine culture and politics (how interesting... duh.) I'm serious. This may seem a bit boring but can be a real mind-opener. :)


"We seem to inspire other nations with an irresistible urge to save us, civilize us, liberate us. The Spaniards believed they were rescuing us from the Mohammedans and other agents of Satan. The Americans proclaimed their purpose to civilize us, Christianize us, and liberate us from the Spaniards and the "Tagalog Republic". The Japanese in their turn assumed, like excellent mimics, the classic posture of saviors, and announced that they were come to free us from the Americans in particular, and white men in general. No one bothered to consult us, and many Filipinos were killed by these favors. By an amazing stroke of luck, we have managed to survive the solicitude, and to learn that in the end we must save ourselves."


- an excerpt from "What Are Filipinos Like?"
an essay by Leon Ma. Guerrero


I've already read this essay twice, today dates the third time. This is an old essay, but the lessons here can still be applied to the current dilemmas our country is facing right now. I recommend this essay to be read by everyone who wants to know what Filipinos are really like and those who are in question of what are the possible reasons why and how did we manage to become who we are right now.

No comments: