Let Me Whine on Wednesday


This post's supposed to be wordless, but I felt the need to explain myself for posting this photo. First off, the source. I got this from a friend's photo album in Friendster. No, he doesn't look like this in person, neither his mom nor girlfriend. I don't know where he got this but I must admit it made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it. However, the intention was not to ridicule this person or mock her for being in such miserable condition. I laughed because she has that funny look on her face, that's all. Laughing was just the initial reaction. It was followed by other emotions which are not as good as the first. Reality does bite. Ouch.

Here (New Milford, NJ), when a homeless, crazy, or both, people roam around the residential area, somebody will call the police. Once caught, the deranged destitute will then be turned over to a hospital. There, they will be given food, shelter, recreational activities, and someone to talk to. I should know, my mother works in one hospital where such services are being rendered. Even though in reality, homeless men are to be considered as a burden because a) they don't pay taxes b) they can cause harm at times and c) they are community eyesores, their government creates and implements programs which can help alleviate, if not completely resolve, the problem.

You see, that's the reason I refused to take the civil service exam and become a member of my country's team of government employees. I will puke all over the place and totally hate myself if I ever do that. I am so well versed with the ins and outs of our rotten political system that I can say that Philippine public service is a farce. And no, changing my mind about it or taking back what I just said or having faith whatsoever won't make things right. I am one small voice in a country where oligarchy reigns and people's dignity are bought to be OK about it. Where the middle class work their asses off to put more money in the elite class' bank accounts and some spare changes to their own. I can say a lot more but I am tired. Many Filipinos have already done this; wrote their honest observations just to be tagged as brain-drained sellouts in the end. Can't blame them, though, truth is really hard to swallow.

So, are you still laughing?


No comments: