Graveyard Shift and Seven Dust


It has been months since I last posted a blog entry here. Good thing the people in my unit likes me and gave me staff duty at the TOC from 10pm til 3am. The job's really easy, I just have to stay awake and answer phones (yes, there are about 8 different phones to answer and yes, I am alone). So far I had 3 phones calls and the last one was two hours ago. I am so bored that I decided to write something, though I don't really have anything interesting in mind to share. Wait, I do have interesting stories to share, I am just being lazy. But hey, I got this much time so might as well write, here it goes.

After dinner, we passed by Green Beans Coffeeshop to buy my battle buddy Gonzales and I caffeinated beverages that might help us fight off the urge to count sheeps while on duty. The shop is located beside Camp Buehring stage, which was surprisingly packed with people holding cameras. On some days we do let some talentless people get on that stage and try to entertain us but usually the people's response doesn't get to that point where they whip out their camera and take pictures. Upon noticing the peculiar scene, Sgt. Jennings and I decided to hold off the coffeeshop visit and ask what's going on.

"Seven Dust? For real, for real?" That was Sgt. Jennings' reply when the dude I asked told her who's playing tonight. My sergeant's eyes got bigger and said "We should stay!" So Seven Dust is a big band then, I said to myself while feeling a little ashamed for my ignorance. Look, I am not a fan of heavy rock, and I haven't listened to the radio in the last four weeks. Give me a break.

There was a dilemma though. I wanted to stay and enjoy the free show but Gonzales and I were supposed to share the burden of manning the TOC from 5pm to 3am. Since I know the army ethos and believe that mission should always come first, we decided to limit our stay to two songs and went back to the TOC. When we got there, Sgt. Jennings looked for somebody else to go with her back to the concert venue. However, the person she asked wasn't a fan of rock music at all. It was Sgt. Hines and he is smart enough to offer a solution to the problem: one of the on duty soldiers can go and one must stay. Gonzales showed no interest in going and moreover, she was waiting for her husband to come over and stay with us at the TOC. I thanked Gonzales like there was no tomorrow. I only stopped when I realized I paid for our coffee.

Awesome performance. I'm not big rock music fan but I enjoyed the Seven Dust's concert. Well, I've always enjoyed live music because of the energy emanating both from the performers and the audience. The people (AKA mosh pit) were jumping up and down while one hand raised holding the "rock on!" sign. Sgt. Jennings wanted to do the same thing but couldn't because of the M16 on her back and the soft/fragile peaches in her pocket. As soon as the show ended, everybody hurried up to fall in line for the autograph signing. We got the chance to shake the band members' hands and talk to them like distant relatives; like we know each other but we really don't, though we want to only to a certain point. When it was my turn to meet and greet Seven Dust's amazing five, I was so starstruck I forgot about the poster they needed to sign. Good thing Vince, the bassist, asked if I wanted the first dude I shook hands with to sign, too. I totally forgot I was there for an autograph signing! Haha!

After the unforgettable encounter, we got in line for the photo op. However, I only have 30 minutes til my shift so we decided to head back to the TOC to relieve Gonzales. I was a little upset I had to leave and miss the opportunity to hang out and take pictures with these cool guys, but like I said, mission first. At least I got this really cool, signed Seven Dust poster!

To Seven Dust, we appreciate your efforts in coming here to entertain us and making us feel that somebody appreciates what we do. Rock on!

No comments: