the looking glass self

[ the looking glas self ]

we had an activity in our speech class, about the looking glass self, which is, knowing your identity from other people. we were asked to place a paper at our back where everybody can write and tell how he or she sees you. I wasn't really expecting a positive and deep appreciation of who I am in reality neither did I expect something negative because I know I'm new in P1. If you're interested in viewing my paper, click the thumbnail below for larger view


[ the forum ]
right after the speech class, we eagerly went to the FEU auditorium to attend a forum conducted by the Institute of Law Student Council with the theme, "CROSSROADS: Road Map, Please!". I was thinking of missing the said forum and eat instead because it's already 3pm and I still haven't eaten anything. But upon hearing the presence of Congressman Cheese Escudero and DENR Sec. Mike Defensor as 2 of the 3 guest speakers, I knew I had to postpone my plan of killing my hunger.

This forum HAD the purpose of answering inquiries regarding the current political situation of our country; "Where do we go from here?" is the question, as suggested by the theme itself. The forum started with the 3 politicians stating, and presenting to us, each other's "truths". Cong. Sandoval's presence as one of the 3 speakers was, if not totally ignored, barely even noticed, because the forum became the arena of Escudero (the ONLY guy from the opposition I really admire) and Defensor (a known "sugo" of the administration). Escudero, as usual, managed to impress the entirety of his audience with his "intellectually charismatic" way of speaking, mixing his statements with humor (i.e. "magsasalita na lang po ako sa tagalog, I don't enlish very well..") that totally appealed to most of the FEU students. I believe I can't, and won't, be able to share to you in details what exactly happened in that forum nor can I share with you the same ideas that filled the auditorium. All I can give are my mere opinions:

First, I find Escudero's statements contradictory. I can't mention all but I can give you one: A super hot babe, a future lawyer maybe, had been given the privilege of asking Cheese, starting her inquiry with sentiments telling that she was saddened by the fact that such a fine man like Escudero have chosen to collaborate with known TRAPOS (or people with questionable integrity, as she puts it) in the opposition. Escudero's answer is something to this effect: "malay mo, ayaw ko rin sa kanila... tigilan na natin ang paglalagay ng tatak sa noo ng mga tao, na maka-marcos yan, maka-erap yan, trapo yan... etc.... let's start something anew.. etc." just to conradict it later when some other person asked about the wiretapped tape. He said that there's a plausible theory that the wiretap wasn't intended for PGMA, but instead, for Garcillano, because he was "kilalang magaling mandaya" in elections. See? he totally forgot about his lectures of not marking someone on the forehead.

As for Defensor, I think he's no equal to the competence of Escudero, and I believe he has the same idea about it. But still, I liked him. He presented his arguments clearly, but not entirely completely. The questions thrown at him were not directly answered... and I guess that's the problem of that forum - questions were left unanswered, instead, even more piled up on our minds.

... I went out of the auditorium hungry for food and hungry for solutions that were not adequately provided by our guests.

No comments: